Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage Gumbo
This is one of our favorite Gumbo recipes. A special thanks to Karen’s Kitchen Stories –
Adventures in cooking and baking.
2 tablespoons plus 1 cup corn oil
1 3 1/2 to 4 pounds chicken, cut up,
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 large stalks celery, diced
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pound andouille or kielbasa sausage, sliced
8 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven, heat two tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Working in batches, brown the chicken pieces on both sides, about 7 minutes each. Place the chicken on a plate and set it aside.
- Add the flour and rest of the oil to the same pot, and over medium heat, cook while stirring, for 15 minutes until the color resembles peanut butter. Add the onion and cook for an additional 30 minutes, until the roux is dark reddish-brown.
- Add the chicken, bell pepper, celery, sausage, and the stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the salt and cayenne pepper, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. At about the one-hour point, remove the chicken pieces, remove the bones, and add the chicken meat back to the pot.
- When ready to serve the gumbo, add the green onions and shrimp, and cook until the shrimp is cooked for about 5 minutes
- Serve with white rice and hot sauce.